Sunday, July 10, 2011

Interesting Reflection on Dolls

I've been winning some pretty great Craigslist listings of girl toys - this weekend, polly pockets and barbies.  (Let's be honest - adoption isn't cheap! As much as I'd love to go to the store and buy litttle sweet miss a cart full of brand new toys, it's not really happening.  And that's OK!)

I got a big lot of Polly Pockets yesterday, which included 14 dolls and a huge amount of clothing/accessories/animals etc..to go with it.  Then today, I got a lot of like 40 dolls, almost 30 of them being barbies + horses and clothing.  eh, some of them have pretty ratty hair, but many are great and they were only like $1 a piece, so I'm not complaining.

One thing that I couldn't help but realize when sorting through everything was that they are all (Polly Pockets included) white. Most have blond hair.  And it's something that I didn't really think about before.  We bought Coralie a little doll to send in her first care package and I debated sending a cute little doll that spoke many phrases in English (blond hair, blue eyes), thinking maybe she'd learn some phrases, but in the end, I thought sending a doll that looked more like her was a good first step for us.  She's a little mother who loves to do hair etc, so we got her this one. (not really Asian looking...)

And as I looked through the dolls, I wondered, are there Asian barbie dolls?  There are. In the tune of $50. (Korean - Chinese - Indonesia)  But the amount of Asian dolls is limited. We're going to have to be a little creative and look for these options, even if they cost a little bit more.  Oddly enough, from the families who have already traveled to Korea, I hear that the baby dolls in Korea are the typical blond hair, blue eyes dolls we have here.  So odd, right?

If you're a China/Korea family who has some ideas of where I can find more dolls that are of Asian decent, leave them in the comments or email them to me, please! :)

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE etsy for dollies that look asian! Here are some cuties:
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/76533326/lovely-asian-doll?ref=sr_gallery_27&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=Korean+dolls&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

    or

    http://www.etsy.com/listing/75027147/custom-asian-calico-ragdoll-for-adoption?ref=sr_gallery_2&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=Korean+dolls&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snap and Style dolls...fisher price, I believe. We LOVE these! They have snap on clothes -- much easier than Polly Pockets -- which I'm sure my kids will love once they are older and can dress them. Linn is the Asian one. But they have different ethnicities. Check Toys-R-Us.

    ReplyDelete