Sunday, March 20, 2011

The ball is rolling

About 8 years ago, Dave and I were trying to get pregnant for the 2nd time.  We had already had a miscarriage and my reproductive body was unfortunately well past my mid-20's biological body.  "If this doesn't work, let's adopt."  I said, and Dave agreed.  We sent out for information packets from adoption agencies, continued on fertility treatments and were blessed with a pregnancy.

7 years ago, we had found out that our baby growing in my belly was a little boy. Celebration! Cause raising Logan had so far been an unbelievable amazing experience.  "I know we said we only wanted to have 2 kids, but I might want to try for a little girl."  And Dave said maybe. ;)

A little more than 6 years ago, lay in my hospital bed with my newest little miracle and listened as my doctor told me that my HELLP Syndrome was Stage 1 and we were lucky.  "Rarely do women still die in the US from child birth, but HELLP Syndrome is one of the reasons they do.  Consider yourself blessed and think long and hard about taking permanent measure to eliminate the chance of pregnancy again."  And Dave did.

3 years ago, I couldn't get adoption out of my head.

2 years ago, we talked about adopting a teenage girl.

1 year ago, I tried to forget about the desire to adopt.  I didn't work.

Today, our boys are 6 and 9. Our life is pretty darn easy! They're independent, we go on semi-regular date nights, we've traveled quite a bit with them in the past couple of years and a common phrase we use is, "We've graduated!"  Life isn't so stressful anymore!

So, what are we going to do now that life is pretty easy and our boys are growing up so fast?

ADOPT

Yep! A little girl.  A sister and a daughter and a niece and a grand-daughter. And boy, I have spent about 500 hours on the computer researching the US, international adoption, special needs listings, photo listings.  I've talked on the phone with strangers who have adopted from the Congo, Ukraine, China, Ethiopia, Russia and Guatemala.

I thought I found the right country about 5 different times until I learned why it wasn't the right country.  I thought I picked the right age-range for our soon-to-be daughter until I realized that maybe I was wrong. But I'm not positive about that yet.

We're almost done with our home study and we've already signed up with our adoption agency.  As of this moment we're almost positive that we're Korea-bound!  But we're up for a waiting child on the Korea or China list if that child comes available.

Our stress-free life is going to change, but that's OK! It's all good. The kids are SO very excited about having a sister and I can't believe that Dave and I are going to be parents of a girl. Imagine my life: 2 boys, a husband a male dog! Pink! Tights! Tu-tu's! Nail polish! (Wait, Miles digs the nail polish.)

So anyway, I wanted to blog about our experience.  I'm not promising anything with this blog.  I can't even promise a positive adoption, to be honest.  Things happen, things change, countries change and we just have to trust God in all of it.  And I do. So pray for us! Think good thoughts for us and check back here as we go along.

4 comments:

  1. Holy cow, girl, do YOU know how to keep a secret! This is big news! I positively couldn't be happier for you. I happen to think the timing is perfect... I have five years between my #2 and #3 and it's great. You will love starting all over. Huge hugs and I can't wait to follow along on your journey.

    Christine M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I'm so happy for you guys!!! Thank you for inviting us on this journey with you! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to meet my new niece! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What exciting news! I also love the idea that you are writing down your whole experience and sharing it. I keep a blog for my boys and it's so fun to look back sometimes and see where we were and where we have gone!

    I know what you mean about all of the pink things...we have two boys and the idea of tu-tu's and fingernail polish. Awwww....You will be wonderful parents to the lucky little girl. What a big decision it must have been for you! I always knew you had a heart of gold!

    ReplyDelete