Monday, May 2, 2011

Bloomers

Another post for another day will be all about the way that I feel unable to step foot into the girls section.  There is almost an invisible barrier that keeps me out.  I glance as I walk by, but I have never crossed the path into the land of tights, dresses, pink, ruffles.

City-wide garage sales were this weekend, and I went to a handful.  I didn't buy much at all, but a good stack of cute-clothes-that-my-baby-may-or-may-not-wear-because-I-have-no-idea-how-big-she'll-be baby clothes.  It was a trial run. Could I pass for a mom who should be looking in the girl section?

 At my first garage sale, I picked up a dress that had see-through bubbles on them, I asked, "What does one do with this?"  And the mom said, "You just need to find some white bloomers."  "Oh, OK."  Bloomers? Aren't they what I wore under my cheer leading uniform in high school?!!?    "And...(eyes down, quickly trying to think...) bloomers are??"

Yep! Bloomers ARE what I wore under my cheer leading uniform...and what little girls wear under dresses! Who knew!? Such a newbie. So much to learn.  I have never in my adult life thought about what a little girl wears under her dress. Not once. Never.

Until now.  And I am happy to say I have 2 pair of bloomers in this house now.  And a pair of tights.  And a red velvet hoodie with a  red heart.

And by the way, am I the only one who remembers her mom calling these 'ruffle butts'.

3 comments:

  1. its so weird, isn't it?
    It wasn't until I started getting piles of hand me downs that I would even think of looking at girls' clothes. And its a new world...and one that is obviously going to require more upkeep (read: ironing) and thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kether, you iron? I make a point not to do that. ;) For real, right? I can't wait for tights, dresses and little mary janes. Hope my baby girl will feel the same way! Watch, she'll be a tomboy and live in jeans and tees just like the boys. ;)

    And seriously, with boys, you need a few good pair of jeans, 1 or 2 khaki or cords and a few athletic pants. Don't forget shirts that go with any of the above and you.are.set.! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I bought my first....two pairs of cute leggings from Gymboree. They are tucked away :)

    ReplyDelete